Monday Morning Roads

It’s about 27 on the porch. There was a lot of sun yesterday, so there was some melt. But, at least where we are, I don’t think it got above the freeze. The steps and the porch are still pretty hazardous, because there was enough of a crust from the rain the followed Friday’s snow that it couldn’t be swept off.

There’s still a couple of inches of snow in our driveway. It hasn’t even begun to show clear spots.

The county is operating on a two hour delay. I’m not sure about the schools, although I’d bet they have a two hour delay as well, if they didn’t cancel.

I haven’t been out, for the simple reason that I can’t get out. We’re in an especially bad place as far as getting out is concerned. I suppose it will be at least Wednesday before we’ll be able to get out safely.

I imagine a lot of the roads are still treacherous. The parts of Dean Road and Cutcane Road that I can see lie in the sun, and they look pretty normal from a distance. But I haven’t seen any traffic on them. I’d say the situation still calls for a great deal of caution.

If you’re new to this game, remember that the refreeze is definitely a hazard in these conditions. If you get out, but there’s still snow melting over the road, it will refreeze early. I usually try to be back in by 3:00. If you wait until 4:00, that’s cutting it pretty close, depending on cloud conditions and temperature.

This entry was posted in Clyde's Columns and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.